Refinement of the TradeMark East Africa Results Framework
Year - 2014
Client - TradeMark East Africa
Trade Mark East Africa (TMEA) is a US $700 million multi-donor facility with partners in the six countries of the East African Community.
The facility aims to reduce poverty by improving trade competitiveness in three areas:
- increased physical access to markets;
- enhanced trade environment;
- improved business competitiveness;
TMEA had gone through a period of rapid growth and in 2014 the donors led by DFID undertook a major strategic review to narrow the focus of activities and improve the coherence of the programme. TMEA was tasked with demonstrating how the outputs from the projects it finances fulfilled the theory of change.
We were contracted to:
- interpret and refine the theory of change;
- develop a strategic level results framework;
- link individual project result-chains to country programmes and the overall strategic framework;
Our Private Sector Development team was contracted to develop a results framework which demonstrated a coherent link between the project interventions and country level objectives with the overall strategic objectives of the programme. It was necessary to construction a logical hierarchy of how project activities led to improved trade and thus tackled the complex topic of attribution:
“the extent to which the intervention has caused the impact, compared to credible contribution or the extent to which the intervention has contributed to the impact. ”
To do this we reviewed and revised the results framework to give coherence and a logical linkage between the different levels of project, country, regional and component themes
The project was formed over three phases:
- Phase 1 – We reviewed projects to test the conformity of the monitoring system and appropriateness of indicators using the Donor Committee for Enterprise Development standard. As part of this process we led a full consultation with key donors and stakeholders;
- Phase 2 - We brought the TMEA team together to develop a strategic level results framework for the programme that can be used to develop indicators for measuring project interventions;
- Phase 3 - We produced detailed guidance notes for TMEA staff to help improve individual project and programme results.
In collaboration with TMEA's key stakeholders, we:
- Were instrumental in making sure that the theory of change used by TMEA was accurate and appropriate;
- Created a strategic level results framework that is used by TMEA to improve the measurement of all its activities and linking project level activities to programme results and assess how TMEA's work is improving trade and reducing poverty in East Africa.
For any queries, write to us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org