Apply Now Back
Job Title / Position:
Consultant, Private Sector Development
London, United Kingdom with occasional travel to Africa and South Asia
Type of Employment :
Full Time ( Junior/Mid/Senior Level)
23 Feb, 2018
Supporting the delivery of high-quality projects and programmes for our clients, engaging in business development and proposal writing, and working with senior staff to build IPE Triple Line’s Private Sector Development practice
About IPE Global:
IPE Triple Line is a UK-based consultancy providing specialist professional services across a range of sectors and disciplines to help meet the challenges of international development. Since its establishment in 1999, IPE Triple Line has completed more than 300 assignments for donors in the international development arena, and has particular experience in the monitoring and evaluation of development programmes. IPE Triple Line is part of the IPE Global Group, which is headquartered in India and has offices in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Dhaka (Bangladesh), Manila (the Philippines), Nairobi (Kenya) and Yangon (Myanmar).
Our Private Sector Development practice engages with businesses, donors, investors and policy makers to drive inclusive growth and market based approaches to reducing poverty in developing countries and fragile states. Our approach recognises the primary importance of the private sector in providing solutions to stimulate economic transformation and productive employment for men and women equally, to promote gender equality, social inclusion and women’s economic empowerment, as well as innovating for environmental protection, climate change adaptation and resilience.
About the job:
We are seeking to recruit a Consultant to join our small and dynamic team based in London, Nairobi and Addis. You will be based in London with travel to sub-Saharan Africa, and will play an important role in delivering evidence driven insights and solutions to our clients. As a member of project teams this will involve desk based research and collecting primary data through interviews with stakeholders ranging from smallholder farmers to policy makers. You will conduct quantitative analysis, develop tools and indicators to track complex programmes, and work with the rest of the team to produce analysis and recommendations for a range of audiences. Consultants are also required to support project planning, resource management and reporting to clients.
In additional to project delivery, you will help the team identify new business opportunities, draft methodologies for proposals, and liaise with external consultants and partners to find the right teams to implement projects. You’ll also help grow and support our Private Sector Development practice through contributing to thought leadership, improving our systems and processes, and liaising with other sectoral teams and our offices in Kenya, Ethiopia and India.
Project delivery (50%):
- Project management expertise with the ability to manage complex programmes to a deliver maximum impact and value for money to our clients
- Conducting secondary research, including reviews of academic and grey literature and collating external datasets by gender and other intersecting characteristics
- Developing survey tools (e.g. questionnaires, focus group or key informant interview guides, and sampling frames) and conducting primary data collection
- Quantitative analysis using Microsoft Excel or statistical software (STATA or R)
- Drafting sections of reports, case studies, and evaluations
- Supporting in the design of Theories of Change and monitoring frameworks (including logframes) for complex Private Sector Development and/or market systems development programmes
- Proof reading, formatting and editing client deliverables
- Support the management of projects through resource planning, scheduling, tracking of project utilisation rates, and progress reporting to clients
Business development (40%):
- Support activities which generate new leads and prospects, including identification of opportunities online, networking and attending donor events, and conducting scoping visits
- Conducting competitor and market analysis
- Drafting of expressions of interest and technical and financial sections of proposals, including work plans and budgets and ensuring project references and CVs are in line with the requirements outlined in Terms of Reference
- Managing a database of project references and consultant CVs
- Searching for and contracting of key experts to support in-house teams
- Assist with preparing high impact marketing presentations show-casing IPE Triple Line’s service offerings and expertise, for both private and public clients
Practice development (10%):
- Support production of thought leadership outputs (i.e. blog posts or short reports) which are in - line with our key service offerings
- Organising brown bag lunches to communicate project successes and learnings to the rest of the business
- Identifying and developing improvements to internal systems and processes
We are looking for someone who is passionate about supporting the role of the private sector in creating jobs for women and men, increasing incomes, and providing critical goods and services to poor people in the developing world. You are thoughtful, excel at problem solving and have the confidence to contribute new ideas and challenge those around you, while remaining a committed team player.
- A Master’s degree in Business, Economics, Political Science, International Relations, or International Development, with an excellent academic record
- Ability to conduct high-quality quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to communicate findings and recommendations clearly to a range of audiences
- Commitment to supporting economic transformation, poverty reduction and adaptation to climate change in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia
- Awareness of, and sensitivity to the range of differing political and cultural environments found in developing countries and fragile states
- A team player who is a fast learner, flexible and able to adapt to changing priorities, and able to work under pressure
- Willingness to travel to sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia
- Excellent listening skills, patience, and a great sense of humour
- Demonstrated fluency in English
- Eligible to live and work in the UK
- Two years of relevant experience working for a development or management consultancy, international finance institution, NGO, or in the private sector
- Experience in using quantitative, qualitative or data visualisation software packages (e.g. STATA, R, NVivo, Tableau, QlikView), or a track record in conducting gender and/or spatial analysis
- Track record of academic publication
- Experience living and working in a developing country
- Ability to tell jokes on demand
- Ability to work in French, Kiswahili or Amharic
Interested candidates should apply by sending a CV (max 2 pages), cover letter (max 300 words), and short essay (max 500 words - see below) to email@example.com by 23rd February 2018. Please include the text ‘PSD Consultant Application’ in the subject header of the email. Our plan is to hold interviews between 28th February and 2nd March 2018, with the start date as soon as possible after this time.
Please respond to one of the following questions for your short essay:
1) What is the potential for blended finance to play a role in addressing the SDGs?
2) What is a key issue businesses face when targeting women and men at the “bottom of the pyramid” as customers, and how can it be addressed?